Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Who me? Freak out? Never....

The joys of having a 2 year old are endless, he's my little cuddle bug as well as a prize fighter, well almost prize fighter :). Today was one of those days that started out pretty normal, woke up at 8 am, made my giant pot of coffee, made him eggs, and checked my blog and my bloggy friends blogs :) and found some new blogs that I really like..They're on the Daily Reads list..

Anywho, morning passed to afternoon again without anything going on, out of the ordinary that is, which should have clued me in..No freak outs yet, no breaking up of any fights between Pudge (our sweet American Bulldog) and Nate, but something was brewing...I could feel it!

So, around 1:30 pm I'm chatting on the phone with one of my friends in Vegas and Nate is running wild on a sugar high ( I made chocolate chip cookies from scratch and he's addicted) and next thing I know Nate is standing next to me and I hear "crunch, crunch" coming from his mouth, well I hadn't given him any food and there was no way he would eat the dog food and then all of a sudden I spy something silver shining around his lips...I immediately hang up on my poor friend and grab Nate's mouth and yank it open and what do I find?! PART OF A FREAKIN GLASS ORNAMENT!
So mom brain took over.. I grab him- lay him down on the ground- and proceed to shove my fingers into his mouth while dialing his pediatricians office and cursing at the stupid automated voice asking me to push numbers! Don't they understand I have a real emergency here?! Poor Nate is looking at me with huge eyes that are about to pop out of his head and crying and gagging and I'm about to cry and gag too, I managed to get some of the pieces out of his mouth, but he definitely swallowed some of it. In the mean time I have spoken to the nurse and she's trying to get me to calm down, apparently this happens all the time, NOT TO ME, but I didn't say that, I just answered her questions and made sure Nate wasn't bleeding. After all was said and done, I was instructed to have him rinse and spit with water to make sure there were no cuts and now I just get to wait til it "passes" through his little body. I swear I will never have glass ornaments ever again! And I really need to learn how to calm down, any tips?? By the way this all happened in the span of 3 minutes! It seriously felt like I was in slow motion though...My mom brain has let me relax and I'm going to go take a book/nap break :) Does anyone else freak out? Or am I just a crazy overprotective/reacting parent? :)